Code Of Conduct
Code of conduct for the Students
This Handbook indicates the standard procedures and practices of PADMABHUSHAN VASANTDADA PATIL PRATISHTHAN'S COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING for all students enrolling with the Institute for pursuing varied courses. All students must know that it is incumbent upon them to abide by this Code of Conduct (hereinafter referred to as the 'Code') and the rights, responsibilities including the restrictions flowing from it. All Students are requested to be well aware with this Code.
The Institute shall have the jurisdiction over the conduct of the students associated /enrolled with the Institute and to take notice of all acts of misconduct including incidents of ragging or otherwise which are taking place on the Institute campus or in connection with the Institute related activities and functions.
Institute may also exercise jurisdiction over conduct which occurs off-campus violating the ideal student conduct and discipline as laid down in this Policy and other regulations, as if the conduct has occurred on campus which shall include
a) Any violations of the Sexual Harassment Policy of the Institute against other students of the Institute.
b) Physical assault, threats of violence, or conduct that threatens the health or safety of any person including other students of the Institute.
c) Possession or use of weapons, explosives, or destructive devices off campus.
d) Conduct which has a negative impact or constitutes a nuisance to members of the surrounding off-campus community.
ETHICS AND CONDUCT:
This Code shall apply to all kinds of conduct of students that occurs on the Institute premises and any off-campus conduct that has or may have serious consequences or adverse impact on the Institute’s Interests or reputation.
The student should follow the following rules and regulations:-
1. He/she shall be regular and must complete his/her studies in the Institute.
2. Institute believes in promoting a safe and efficient climate by enforcing behavioral standards. All students must uphold academic integrity, respect all persons and their rights and property and safety of others; etc.
3. All students must deter from indulging in any and all forms of misconduct including participating in any activity off-campus which can affect the Institute's interests and reputation substantially.
4. Intentionally damaging or destroying Institute property or property of other students and/or faculty members.
5. Any disruptive activity in a class room or in an event sponsored by the Institute.
Disciplinary Action will be taken against student in case of :-
1. Indulging in any form of Harassment which is defined as a conduct that is severe and objectively, a conduct that is motivated on the basis of a person's race, colour, national or ethnic origin, citizenship, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition.
2. Theft or abuse of the Institute computers and other electronic resources such as computer and electronic communications facilities, systems, and services which includes unauthorized entry ,use, tamper, etc. of Institute property or facilities, offices, classrooms, computers networks.
3. Any act of discrimination (physical or verbal conduct) based on an individual's gender, caste, race, religion or religious beliefs, colour, region, language, disability, physical or mental disability, gender identity etc.
4. Unable to produce the identity card, issued by the Institute, or refusing to produce it on demand by campus security guards.
5. Unauthorized possession, carrying or use of any weapon, or potential weapons, fireworks, contrary to law or policy.
6. Smoking, consuming alcohol in the campus of the Institute.
7. Rash driving on the campus that may cause any inconvenience to others.
BREACH OF CODE OF CONDUCT:
If there is a case against a student for a possible breach of code of conduct, then a committee will suggest the action to be taken against the said student. . The committee may meet with the student to ascertain the misconduct and suggest disciplinary actions based on the nature of misconduct.
The Institute has a coherent and an effective anti-ragging policy in place which is based on the 'UGC Regulation on Curbing the Menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009 [hereinafter referred to as the 'UGC Regulations']'.The UGC Regulations have been framed in view of the directions issued by the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India to prevent and prohibit ragging in all Indian Educational Institutions and Colleges. The said UGC Regulations shall apply mutatis mutandis to the Institute and the students are requested kindly to
Ragging constitutes one or more of the following acts:
a. Any conduct by any student or students whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any student;
b. Indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities by any student or students which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship, physical or psychological harm or to raise fear or apprehension thereof in any other student.
c. Asking any student to do any act which such student will not in the ordinary course do and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame, or torment or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of such a student;
d. Any act by a senior student that prevents, disrupts or disturbs the regular academic activity of any student;
e. Exploiting the services of a student for completing the academic tasks assigned to an individual or a group of students;
f. Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a student by other students;
g. Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts, gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person;
h. Any act or abuse by spoken words, emails, post, public insults which would also include deriving perverted pleasure, vicarious or sadistic thrill from actively or passively participating in the discomfiture to any other student ;
i. Any act that affects the mental health and self-confidence of any other student with or without an intent to derive a sadistic pleasure or showing off power, authority or superiority by a student over any other student.
The Anti-Ragging Committee, as constituted by the Principal and HODs and other as per the norms shall examine all complaints of anti-ragging and come out with recommendation based on the nature of the incident.
To render assistance to students, an Anti-Ragging Squad, which is a smaller body, has also been constituted consisting of various members of the campus community. The said Squad shall keep a vigil on ragging incidents taking place in the community and undertake patrolling functions. Students may note that the Squad is active and alert at all times. The Squad can also investigate incidents of ragging and make recommendations to the Anti-Ragging Committee and shall work under the guidance of the Anti-Ragging Committee.
A student found guilty by the committee will attract punishments, as imposed by the Anti-Ragging Committee. Further in view of the intensity of the act of ragging committed, a First Information Report (FIR) shall be filed by the Institute with the local police authorities.
STUDENT GRIEVANCE PROCEDURE:
Any student of the Institute aggrieved by any acts of sexual harassment, misconduct or ragging can approach the Student Grievance Redressal cell at the Institute. Further, any student who is aware of any violations must report the same to the Cell. The Cell shall consist of members as appointed by the Principal. The Cell shall take cognizance of the grievance and do the needful.